Friday, October 5, 2012

The Government House

In 1924-1927, construction of several big government building was planned in the budget of Baku.In 1934 , the Soviet authorities announced a tender for construction of Baku Soviet Palace (later renamed to Government House).The competition was won by well known architects Lev Rudnev, V.O.Munts and K.Tkachenko.







 With some alterations to the project, the building of the Government House was built in 1936-1952.Construction of this building led to construction of Lenin Square (later renamed Azadlig Square) in front of the Government House.


 In 1955, a monument to Vladimir Lenin facing Azadlig Square and sculpted by D.M.Garyagdi was installed in front of the building.In addition to this, a large complex of buildings around the Government House was built in 1960-1970s which included hotels "Azerbaijan" and "Absheron", 16-story buildings on Uzeyir Hajibeyov street, building of Azerpocht Lenin`s statue was later removed during the Azerbaijani independence movement in the aftermath of bloody Black January and Lenin square was renamed Azadliq square (freedom square)

In 2006, the government of Azerbaijan started renovation works of the building and completed the project in 2010. $40.8 million AZN were spent  for reconstruction and enrichment of the park surrounding the building.



Being in the center of Baku, the Government House is among the mostly visited tourist attractions of Azerbaijan.Currently, several ministries including Ministries of Culture and Tourism?Ministry of Agriculture,Ministry of Labour and Social Protection of Population, State Procurement Agency and Copyright Agency of Azerbaijan Republic occupy the building offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment